The KOSTAL Group is an independent, family-owned company based in Germany, which was founded in 1912 in Lüdenscheid. In 1927 the company cast itself as a manufacturer of installation materials for industry and private use with its independently developed directional light for car electrics.
A few years later, in 1935, Kurt Kostal took over the company, becoming the second generation of the Kostal family at the reigns. Directed by these two generations the company, then called Leopold Kostal, had a clear focus on the development and production of supplies for the car industry.
Company founder Leopold Kostal
Kurt Kostal with his son Helmut and father Leopold.
1938 saw the first connectors for car applications roll off the line.
In 1961 the founder of the company died at the age of 77. More than 10 years later, in 1972, Leopold Kostal’s grandson, Helmut Kostal, joined the company, representing the family for a third generation. Since Kurt Kostal’s death in 1981, the company has been run by his son Helmut. He has pointed the company to focus to a greater degree on international markets and in the 1990s he established another corporate area for Kostal GmbH & Co. KG, which were transformed into legally separate companies in 2004.
Among the company’s current customers are many important industrial enterprises, in particular, all the world’s top car manufacturers and their suppliers.
History in numbers
- Leopold Kostal founds the parent company.
- Enters into car electronics thanks to the directional light for cars developed by the Leopold Kostal Company.
- Kurt Kostal joins the company as support for his father and at the same time he is given his own management position.
- Entered into car electronics thanks to the directional light for cars developed by the Leopold Kostal Company.
- Company’s 25th anniversary (12. 6.1937). Number of employees rose to approx. 240.
- The start of connector technology for use in cars.
- Leopold Kostal dies at the age of 77.
- Dipl.-Kfm. Helmut Kostal joins the company.
- Kurt Kostal dies at the age of 73.
Transformation of Kostal KG into GmbH & Co. KG
- Start of production in Hořovice (near Beroun).
- Production expands to premises in the village of Čenkov (near Příbram).
- Work begins on the construction of a new plant KOSTAL ČR Černín (part of the municipality of Zdice, near Beroun).
- Inauguration of the new plant KOSTAL CR Černín.
- KOSTAL ČR plant expands with a new production hall.
- On 1.9.2007 Mr Joachim Grabowski is appointed the new Managing Director of KOSTAL CR .
- Split into KOSTAL KKS and KOSTAL CR.
- Celebration of KOSTAL’s 100th anniversary.
- Helmut Kostal dies at the age of 71 and his son Andreas Kostal takes over the company’s overall management.
- Celebration of KOSTAL’s 25th anniversary in the Czech republic.
… International supplier of electronic and mechatronic components for the car industry,
… develops and manufactures steering column modules for major carmakers,
… one of the largest employers in the region
… more than 1000 employees work here
In 2015, we established a new branch in Cerhovice and in Prague-Zličín. Our branch in Cerhovice is located in our newly renovated premises where we are building new technological lines for future projects. It is equipped with a top of the range toolroom, construction tools, a modelling department, an automation centre, etc. We have rented modern premises at Zličín in Prague where our design of mechanics and electronics is growing rapidly.
Recently, KOSTAL has opened other offices – in Morocco, Sweden and Macedonia.